The American Water Buffalo Association
Buffalo Fact Page
[ Home ] [ News ] [ Cheese ] [ Milk ] [Meat] [ Facts] [Membership]
Membership Area: Research and Development , Newsletters
1. Not exotic animals but farm animals
in the world , 100 million in India.
Used for: Draft
Milk and milk by - products
3. 30 years in this
country, approximately 2500 now.
4. In this country water buffalo are used for Meat, Milk and some Draft.
Also breed improvement through genetic selection, proper nutrition and management.
5. Exportations to
: Philippines and Australia,
6. American Water Buffalo Association
7. Purpose is to promote the scientific study and to research
ways and means breeding, exportations to developing countries
8. 2 basic
African - Syncerina
Asian - Bubalus Bubalis
Bison or the American Buffalo are not in either group.
African or the Cape Buffalo are wild and to this date have not been domesticated.
Asian on the other hand is a species with three historical types:
Tamaraw - is a small type found in Mindoro, Philippines and are almost extinct.
- is a dwarf type found in Indonesia.
Arni - the type we have - domesticated for over 5,000. years.
9. 3 types of Arni: A: Swamp - draft type
River - milk type
C: Mediterranean - milk type
10. These animals are hardy,
resistant to internal and external parasites. Friendly, intelligent and can
become pets very easily. Growth, they get fat on land where cattle starve. Due
to the rich milk they produce, calves will out gain cattle at weaning age. A
buffalo cow can produce 20 to 25 calves in her lifetime.
11. Weight at birth averages 80 pounds. Many weigh 98 to 114
pounds. At 6 months, it is not uncommon for a bull calf to weigh 700 pounds
at weaning age and at one year weigh 950 pounds. At maturity a bull will
weigh about 1500 to 2200 pounds. Cows weigh from 1200 to 1600 pounds.
12. 12. Through proper nutrition and management our cows calve every year after. In India they start producing at approximately 5 years and only calve every 3 to 4 years. Our heifers give birth at two or three and calve every year
13. Gestation is 10 1/2 months. Water buffalo do not breed with cattle or bison due to the different number of chromosomes - 48- 50 and cattle -60 . Lifespan of 20 to 30 years
is very tasty, very much like beef but 67% lower in cholesterol -
92% less saturated fat and 45% saturated fat.
Milk is high in butter fat. True
mozzarella cheese is made from water
buffalo milk. The River type are milked in Italy, Asia, South America, and
the Balkans. We have been milking since August of 1994. Our milk was used to produce the only fresh made Mozzarella cheese in
the U.S.. Now, milking is progressing in Southern, CA.
Hides make a very strong, smooth leather and the horns are in demand.
17. Unless wounded or severely stressed, the domesticated water buffalo is one of the gentlest of all Animals.
18. Water Buffalo adapt to a variety of climates from Russia, the Balkan countries, to Asia, Egypt, Americas and the Tropics.
animal of strategic importance for much of the World.
had better take good care of our -
because if I die, you will grieve and weep but if
our buffalo dies, you will starve"....
Please Consider becoming a Member - It's Easy - Please Click here!
Send mail to Administrator@americanwaterbuffaloassociation.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2017 American Water Buffalo Association. Last modified: 07/23/2016